The
Missing Gloves
By
last September I had accumulated a pile of gardening gloves. I had
all different kinds as well. Some were pretty old and I had all
different kinds as well. Some leather, some cloth some plastic and
some brand new ones. I kept telling everyone I needed gardening
gloves so I got them for birthdays , Mother's day, and other various
events. I even bought some myself.
![]() |
| the nest |
Now go
forward a couple of months to November. I went into my gardening shed
and looked for my leather gloves, The were not in the pile of gloves.
I must have left them somewhere but checking around just couldn't
find them.
In
December the same thing happened. I checked the glove pile and
couldn’t find my brand new gloves. Had I dropped them outside under
one of the piles of leaves? This continued throughout the winter and
spring until in early March I went into the shed and the last
remaining pair of gloves had gone. I checked around under the tables
and on the shelves but not a glove was to be found.
Where
could they all have gone?? 6 pairs of gloves and all gone missing??
I also
noticed my favorite pair of garden scissors was missing as well and
my safety glasses. Also a few cat bowls were gone as were some small
potting cups.
| The wall came down |
Well
today the mystery was solved.
We
were cleaning out the far corner of the shed deep behind some large
crates and a metal shelf and we found nearly all the missing items
.It was just amazing . Some little creature had painstakingly built a
little nest out of an old mop head and then barricaded itself behind
a wall of mixed gloves, string, cat dishes , small tools etc etc.
Even my special scissors was woven into the wall.
The
whole thing was on top of a huge pile of black sunflower seeds ,the
ones that Mike feed to the birds. He thought he had been buying a lot
of birdseed this winter and now he knows why. Our little visitor sure
didn't intend to go hungry this winter,
No
sign of the guilty party but if I ever see a squirrel, rat, mouse,
skunk or armadillo wearing special safety glasses I'll know who it
was. (My glasses never were found.)
PS
Everything had been chewed so all gloves had to be thrown away and
now I keep my new gloves INSIDE the house.

And we think we are the smart ones! I wonder what creature did this, and why scissors? A bit scary.
ReplyDeletejohn
Wow, You can't trust anybody these days! that's incredible all that stuff squirreled away, some of it must have
ReplyDeletebeen quite heavy, if a camera could be fixed up bet that would be interesting to watch! could it be your
armadillo? or some kind of large mouse who is very industrious, your gloves made a lovely soft bed,
amazing! Thanks too for comment yesterday re Roots funny looking chap but love able.