Friday, January 31, 2014

The Year of the Horse

The Year of the Horse
Chinese New Year
White horse galloping( difficult to paint)

On January 31. many Asian countries and especially China, will celebrate the Chinese New year which is based on the lunar calendar . There will be many festivities with dragons and lanterns and lots of firecrackers and many people will be celebrating the Year of the Horse

I don't know where I saw this horse photo but I tried to paint it  and it was difficult. The legs don't seem right and a white horse is hard!!

So why the year of the horse? Why not the year of the giraffe or cow?
The legend of the naming of the year came about like this:

Buddha decided to give a party to celebrate the New Year. He invited the animals to come and 12 did. And a year was named after each one. Buddha then said that the person born during the animal's year would take on the some of the personalities of that animal. The people born in the year of the horse will be cheerful, skillful with money, perceptive, witty, talented and good with their hands. Some of the well known people that have been born in previous Years of the Horse are Harrison Ford, Rembrandt, Aretha Franklin and Chopin.

I was born in the year of the OX as was Mike. You can go here to find out your Chinese astrological sign




2 comments:

  1. Good job with the horse galloping, not an easy subject, as you say the legs are so difficult to understand.
    Just found out I was born in the year of the tiger, don't know what that means!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow good for you white horse looks great, how long did it take you? I think we
    all agree now horse legs are for the birds!

    ReplyDelete