Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Lilies of the Field

photo by Mike
If you remember my blog from last year in the spring, you will remember the lovely photos of lilies that bloomed that year. They were all colors and were truly magnificent.
This year from February onward I checked the patch of ground where they were planted but there was no sign of anything growing. I had almost given up when through the ground little green shoots started appearing. I hoped they were lilies but couldn't be sure.
We had a very bad year for growing plants this year and the frost was especially bad. Some of the new little green shoots just didn't make it. We were left with about five plants that actually were growing. I kept my eye on them and decided they were actually lilies.
Then came the bugs! Lilies must be their favorite food although I never actually saw a bug on the plants so it may have been the little gray rabbit I saw popping in and out of the flower bed. Within days only two of the plants were left. Each had a bud on the top but it had been nibbled so I didn't hold out much hope for a flower to bloom. So it was a lovely surprise when one morning I looked out the front door and then in the middle of the flower patch were two lovely lilies. I was very happy to see them and Mike rushed out and took photographs as I was not sure how long they would last.

They are not so beautiful as they were last year but I am glad they came back. I hope the others that are in the ground will return next year. 
We shall see!!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how it makes you feel when something from the garden just pops up
    just when you have given up on it.

    ReplyDelete