Monday, June 23, 2014

Geraniums

Geraniums
Photo by Mike


Lovely red geraniums and beautiful green foliage can not be beaten for outside decoration. I usually do not buy geraniums because they do not do well in the hot Texas summer but this year was an exception as I needed two plants to fill a space in the front garden which has shade for part of the day.I thought I’d give it a try.
When I went to the store all I could see that was big enough for the pots I had were hanging flower plants so I ended up buying two of those . I put those two plants into the larger flower pots and cut off the hangars so they have been there ever since and are doing very well.
I have tried to remember to keep them well watered and to take off the head of the dead blooms. I read somewhere that if you do that they will produce more flowers which  of course is what we want

Photo by MIke

Now I know these are actually grown as annuals but hopefully if I take the geraniums inside in the fall I will be able to overwinter them and that's why I kept them in the pots
. Now all we have to worry about are the dreaded grasshoppers which are getting bigger every day. So far they seem to be ignoring the geraniums but that may be because the smell is not very pleasant.
Beautiful blooms but unpleasant scent.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely summer plants are Geraniums, we have them in pots all over the place. The fragrance is not flowery but we're used to it now.
    Every year we bring a pot inside and the geranium survives fine, they get a big leggy as Spring comes but settles down once they are back outside!
    John

    ReplyDelete