Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Catching Up- Books

Catching Up on the Books I have read.

I realized while  I was in the library looking for some new books to read today that I hadn't kept up writing about the books I have been reading over the last couple of months. I try to do this mostly for my own benefit to remind myself of the ones I have enjoyed or found interesting. If I don't do that I occasionally will select a book that I have read before. It's a sign of old age I guess.
Here are 3 books I enjoyed ; one a mystery, one an "end of the world" story and the third , a historical novel.


Mercy Snow by Tiffany Baker is the mystery that is set in the mountains of New Hampshire in a failing paper Mill town. It is a  small close-knit community where everyone knows everyone else and control is still kept by the MIll owner and his wife . In this  town one family "The Snows", a vagrant  poor family of a brother and 2 sisters almost like gypsies are not welcome  even though their parents has owned property at the edge of town and they are living there in a ramshackle RV. A bad accident involving children on a bus happens and Mercy Snow's brother is blamed for the accident but she sets about to prove he did not do it. It kept my interest and is a well written book.



The Dog Stars by Peter Heller is an "end of the world" type story. ( seems like there are lots of those around these days). The main character in the book is Hig a young man living with his old dog, Jasper on an airport in the prairie close to the Colorado mountains. Most people have died due to a virus epidemic and those left are barbaric and will try to take anything they want or steal it or kill to get it. Hig and his crusty, unsociable neighbor Bangley , an expert on all kinds of guns and defense have carved out a home for themselves but spend most of the time defending it. Hig with Jasper have one relief, they fly out in his old 58 Cessna and all the time Hig is looking for something better. This is especially true when old Jasper dies and Hig goes off to see if he can find better company and a life than he presently has.
It is written in a very strange style. Short clipped sentences and most peculiar punctuation but once you get into the flow of reading it keeps you interested right up to the very end.The part where old Jasper dies is especially touching.



The Gods of Heavenly Punishment by Jennifer Cody Epstein is a historical novel set in America and Japan in time before, during and shortly after World War II.
It tells the story of a group of people from both countries and the way the war influenced and basically destroyed their lives. It is sometimes hard to read as the details of the war, especially the firebombing of Tokyo are well described . It made me realize just how little I know about those times but also gives you the realization that basically all people want the same out of life-love and happiness wherever they live. A gripping story.

No comments:

Post a Comment