Friday, April 25, 2014

Where Have all the Flowers gone??

Where Have all the Flowers gone??
Photo by MIke


I think everyone will remember what a super year it was last year for my flower garden or shall I say the actual flowers I actually got to grow in our yard. If you read any of my plogs from last year they are full of flower stories.

Unfortunately this year 2014 has been very different. We had a somewhat mild early winter with little rain falling. Great all those people from up North think. So did we, but then we had a few week later, on around March some really late frosts and still little rain so a lot of the seeds that had been hibernating in the ground decided they were going to sleep in this year and while they were at it decided that maybe they'd skip growing at all this year.

I sure hope this isn't a sign on a changing climate. It's hard enough to get anything to grow in our part of Texas.

In 2013 we had outstanding irises. I can't take much credit for these as most were in the yard when we moved in. I had thinned a few patches out and also replanted some in new places but no fertilizer or extra topsoil just almost solid neglect on my part. We had all kinds and all colors.
Photo by Shirley.

This year to say it is disappointing would be  an understatement. A few here and there . That's all we are getting. Still each iris is lovely in it's own beauty and I suppose that's what is important as this photo MIke took proves.

I still like irises but not as much as larkspur.
Those are coming along.

2 comments:

  1. Love the back lighting on the Iris by Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the colours in your garden, beautiful colours.
    our Daffs are struggling to make their way up and show themselves
    weather still cold and rain! it's taking it's time.

    ReplyDelete